The social media landscape is changing rapidly and although I see loads of research, I rarely get an overview of statistics all in one place. I also rarely see time-dependent lines showing how specific statistics evolve over time, so I’ve decided to create that exact resource.
If you have any ideas for a better way to present this data efficiently feel free to chime in.
Social Media Statistics – Jan 2012
Facebook is going to serve 4 billion impressions today. – Trada, January 19, 2012
Facebook is slated to grow to 1 billion members by August of 2012. – iCrossing, January 2012
Fans are up to 547% more likely to engage with a brand than nonfans – SocialCode
300MM people now access Facebook via a mobile app.
Almost a third of UK consumers have made a purchase using a mobile website in the last twelve months, and 26% having done so using a mobile app.
25% of online consumers said they would try a competitor if the mobile website was not working, while 64% said they’d only give a mobile website an average of three chances to work before moving on.
Most ambitious mobile users are sucking up tons of data. The top 1% of mobile consumers are using half of the world’s bandwidth.
70% of mobile users have compared product prices on their smartphones.
65% percent of mobile smartphone users read product reviews on their phones
One half of all mobile searches lead to a purchase.
- Pinterest now drives more referral traffic (3.6%) than YouTube (1.05%), Google+ (0.22%), and LinkedIn (0.2%) combined, according to Shareaholic’s January 2012 Referral Traffic Report. Pinterest grew 44% from 2.5% of referral traffic in December 2011, after owning just 0.17% of the traffic in July 2011. Facebook remained the top referral source, growing 3% month-over-month from 25.6% to 26.4%. StumbleUpon also maintained its second ranking, though it dropped 22% from 6.5% to 5.07%.
- For every $1 spent, social media marketing returns an average of $1.50, reported BzzAgent in January 2012. The company analyzed results from Marketing Mix Modeling studies conducted on BzzAgent social marketing campaigns for 21 leading CPG companies to determine the figure.
- Analyzing 7.9 million social video views for brands across a number of vertical categories, Jun Group found that the average social video campaign delivers 30.1% additional media value above-and-beyond the media spend [pdf]. The company defines earned media as a series of actions that users initiate after watching a social video, and placed a monetary value on each action to reach its conclusion.
- According to January 2012 data from Fiksu, the cost of acquiring loyal application users(people who open an app 3 times or more) peaked at a record $1.81 in December 2011, up 26.5% from $1.43 in November, and representing an increase of 65% from $1.10 in May 2011.
More Social Media Statistics
- February Social Media Stats
- March stats on digital marketing and social media. (Our biggest collection yet.)