Most people would say it’s near impossible to pick favorites, but every year 500 experts from around the globe choose the top bars in the world. Their choices become the industry-revered rating that is The World’s 50 Best Bars.
The ranking, which actually publishes the 100 top bars internationally (instead of just 50 as the name would have you believe), is celebrating its eleventh year.
The 2019 list for the World’s Top 50 Bars was announced on October 3rd, 2019 at The Roundhouse performing arts Center in London. If you’re interested in the announcement, you can watch the replay here.
The list is below, as follows. In addition to the ranking itself, I’ve added some commentary on where the bar ranks compared to last year’s 2018 list of Best Bars in the World.
1. Dante, New York
2. Connaught Bar, London
3. Florería Atlántico, Buenos Aires
4. The NoMad, New York
5. American Bar, London
6. The Clumsies, Athens
7. Attaboy, New York
8. Atlas, Singapore
9. The Old Man, Hong Kong
10. Licorería Limantour, Mexico City
11. Manhattan, Singapore
12. Native, Singapore
13. Carnaval, Lima
14. Katana Kitten, New York
15. Guilhotina, São Paulo- Brazil 16. Three Sheets, London
17. Himkok, Oslo
18. High Five, Tokyo
19. Salmón Gurú, Madrid
20. Paradiso, Barcelona
21. Indulge Experimental Bistro, Taipei
22. The Dead Rabbit, New York
23. Coupette, London
24. The SG Club, Tokyo
25. Dr. Stravinsky, Barcelona
26. Employees Only, New York
27. El Copitas, St Petersburg
28. Scout, London
29. Jigger & Pony, Singapore
30. Operation Dagger, Singapore
31. Baba Au Rum, Athens
32. La Factoría, Old San Juan – Puerto Rico
33. Presidente, Buenos Aires
34. Schumann’s, Munich
35. Speak Low, Shanghai
36. Little Red Door, Paris
37. Linje Tio, Stockholm 38. The Old Man, Singapore
39. Lyaness, London
40. Happiness Forgets, London
41. Swift, London
42. Trick Dog, San Francisco
43. Maybe Sammy, Sydney
44. 1930, Milan
45. Sober Company, Shanghai
46. Electric Bing Sutt, Beirut
47. Kwānt, London
48. Artesian, London
49. Coa, Hong Kong
50. Jerry Thomas Speakeasy, Rome
51. SubAstor São Paulo, Brazil
Trending upward. Previous ranking in 2018 was #82.
52. Tayēr + Elementary London, UK
53. Lost & Found Nicosia, Cyprus
Trending downward. Was ranked 25 on last year’s 2018 list.
54. The Bamboo Bar at Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Thailand
Up from 55 last year in 2018, when it was a new entry.
55. Scarfes Bar London, UK
56. Bar Benfiddich Tokyo, Japan
Down from 49 last year.
57. Two Schmucks Barcelona, Spain
Trending upward. Two Schmucks was ranked #87 in 2018.
58. Candelaria Paris, France
Down from a 42 ranking last year in 2018.
59. Tales & Spirits Amsterdam, Netherlands
Lost rankings. Dropped from #31 on the 2018 list.
60. Tommy’s San Francisco, USA
Lost rank. Last year the Mexican restaurant and bar combo that offers a PhD in tequila came in at #40.
61. 28 HongKong Street Singapore, Singapore
Ranked #34 last year.
62. Zuma Dubai, UAE
Up from the 69th spot in 2018.
63. Buck and Breck Berlin, Germany
Down from #48 on the 2018 list of best bars in the world.
64. Oriole London, UK
Lost rankings. In 2018 Oriole ranked at #17.
65. Hanky Panky Mexico City, Mexico
Up from #98 on the 2018 list.
66. Bulletin Place Sydney, Australia
Up from #75 last year.
67. Sweet Liberty Miami, USA
Down from the 21st spot in 2018.
68. Danico Paris, France
Up from #73 in 2018. Last year the bar was a new entry.
69. Siete Negronis Santiago, Chile
New entry in 2019.
70. Baccano Rome, Italy
71. Quinary Hong Kong, China
Down from the 54th spot in 2018.
72. BlackTail New York, USA
Down from #41 in 2018.
73. Central Station Beirut, Lebanon
Trending downward. Last year Central Station was ranked the 27th best bar in the world.
74. Dry Martini Barcelona, Spain
Ranked #59 in 2018.
75. Lobster Bar Hong Kong, China
Down from its rank at #62 in 2018.
76. Long Island Bar New York, USA
Up from the 84th spot on the list last year. In 2018 this bar was a new entry.
77. Panda & Sons Edinburgh, UK
Ranked 61 in 2018, when it was a new entry.
78. Satan’s Whiskers London, UK
This much talked about bar in London is a new entry on the 2019 list.
79. The Baxter Inn Sydney, Australia
Ranked #78 in 2018.
80. Black Pearl Melbourne, Australia
Down from the 30th spot on the Best Bars in the World list in 2018.
81. ABV San Francisco, USA
Ranked #56 in 2018.
82. Drink Kong Rome, Italy
New entry this year.
83. Charles H Seoul, South Korea
Trending downward. Ranked #64 in 2018.
84. Le Syndicat Paris, France
Down from the 24th spot in 2018.
85. Bar Trench Tokyo, Japan
Down from #64 in 2018.
86. Nottingham Forest Milan, Italy
Up from #99 last year.
87. Donovan Bar London, UK
New entry for 2019.
88. Sin+Tax Johannesburg, South Africa
89. Bar Orchard Ginza Tokyo, Japan
Down from the 63rd spot on the 2018 list of best bars in the world.
90. Nutmeg & Clove Singapore, Singapore
91. Lost Lake Chicago, USA
Down from #50 in 2018.
92. Tropic City Bangkok, Thailand
93. The Pontiac Hong Kong, China
94. Amor y Amargo New York, USA
Down from #74 in 2018.
95. PS40 Sydney, Australia
96. Frank Bar São Paulo, Brazil
Down from the 86th spot in 2018.
97. The Gibson London, UK
Fell from its ranking at #57 last year.
98. Mabel Paris, France
New entry for 2019.
99. Aviary Chicago, USA
Down from its place as the 83rd best bar in the world for 2018.
100. Clover Club New York, USA
This Brooklyn bar is a new entry in 2019.